Wisdom Tooth Extraction
For many of us, the wisdom teeth can be impacted and cannot be left ignored – often requiring removal.
The wisdom teeth are most familiar to the people when in their late teens or early twenties and older. They come out on ages where you get more “matured”, hence the name.
When they grow properly, they’re as good as your other teeth, causing no harm and helping you chew food properly.
But when you feel discomfort and pain, see your Moorabbin dentist immediately.
Reasons for Extracting the Wisdom Teeth
Wisdom teeth may grow partially or entirely. In case of an impacted wisdom tooth, extraction may be necessary.
A wisdom tooth should be extracted because of the following reasons:
- They’re impacted
- Growth at the wrong angle
- Gum infection
- Trapped within the jawbone
When left untreated, an impacted wisdom tooth leads to the following conditions:
- Severe pain
- Difficulty biting
- Infection and gum swelling
- Damage around the tissue of your teeth
- Development of cyst around the wisdom tooth
When to See Your Dentist
Schedule an appointment to see your Moorabbin dentist if your wisdom teeth cause extreme pain. We’ll conduct a check-up and advise you whether they need to be extracted.
If your Moorabbin dentist thinks you may need to have your wisdom teeth extracted, we’ll usually carry out an X-ray of your mouth. This gives a better view of the position of the tooth.
As with any other dental problems, it’s important to visit your Moorabbin dentist immediately, rather than waiting for your scheduled dental check-up.
The Wisdom Teeth Extraction Procedure
Generally, wisdom teeth extraction is performed in young adults.
By this time, your wisdom teeth are swollen, and your dentist will usually advise removing it.
During the wisdom tooth extraction procedure, your Moorabbin dentist will do the following:
- Cut through your gum tissue, exposing the wisdom tooth and bone
- Remove the portion of bone that blocks entry to the tooth root
- Cut the tooth into sections if it’s harder to remove as a whole
- Take out the tooth
- Cleaning the site from any debris
- Stitch the extraction site
- Place gauze to help control bleeding and to help a blood clot form
After Surgery Care
Patients who have undergone wisdom teeth extraction surgery recover after a week without any difficulties.
Healing period depends on the complexity of the process, the anaesthesia used, your diet, and preventive measures for complications.
Keep your head elevated on the first few days after the procedure. Never let your head tilt below your heart.
Remember that the extraction site is a wound in your jaw, and it needs time for healing. Use pillows to elevate your head when lying down.
Wisdom Tooth Extraction in Moorabbin
At Captivate Dental, we carry out minor oral surgery and wisdom tooth extraction.
Visit your Moorabbin dentist today!
We are located at 46 Station Street in Moorabbin.
Book a Complimentary Consultation
- Same day emergency appointments are available upon request
- We offer FREE Orthodontic and Implant Consultations
- We're a preferred provider for Bupa and Medibank Private
- If you are looking for an affordable dentist Moorabbin, Captivate Dental is your first choice!
Monday - Friday
8:30AM - 5:30PM
Saturday - Sunday