Knocked-Out Tooth Moorabbin
Accidents, including knocked-out teeth, can happen at any time, anywhere.
If a person knows what to do during a dental emergency, they dramatically improve their chances of saving a knocked-out tooth.
Patients have to keep in mind that for any dental emergency in Moorabbin, they should visit a dentist who can help solve their problem.
What to do?
One of the most common emergencies your Moorabbin dentist treats is a knocked-out tooth.
Compared to other dental issues, a knocked-out tooth is more severe, because time plays a significant factor in treatment. From the moment a tooth is knocked out, the clock is running!
Care for Knocked-Out Baby/Primary Teeth
Baby teeth start to fall out naturally at about age 6 or 7. If a tooth is knocked out earlier by accident – leave it. Never try to put it back, as this may damage the adult tooth growing underneath the gums.
The adult tooth will grow eventually. Give some paracetamol mixture or ibuprofen if the injured gum is sore.
If the tooth is chipped or damaged, it may need the attention of your Moorabbin dentist. Any chipped or cracked teeth may cause cuts inside the mouth.
Care for Knocked-Out Adult/Permanent Teeth
These are most commonly knocked out in older children and adults.
If one of these teeth is knocked out, follow these tips:
- The tooth should be placed back into its socket immediately.
- See a dentist immediately to secure the tooth. This should be done within an hour of the injury.
An adult may be able to plant the tooth back into its socket.
- Do not delay seeing a dentist.
- If the tooth is clean, reimplant it right away and then seek dental help.
- Clean the tooth with water, and do not clean the root.
- Hold the tooth by the crown and not the root. The root has sensitive cells required in attaching the tooth, so try not to touch this part. Carefully insert the tooth into its socket.
- Once replanted, get the injured person to bite gently on a clean cloth until seen by a dentist.
How to Prevent a Knocked-Out Tooth?
Follow these tips to prevent broken or knocked-out teeth:
- Wear a mouthguard when playing any contact sports or recreational activities.
- Avoid fights and games that may cause blows to the face.
- Avoid biting on hard foods and objects, such as bones, stale bread, tough bagels and unpopped popcorn kernels.
- Always wear a seatbelt.
Knocked-Out Tooth in Moorabbin
Dental emergencies like knocking out a tooth are serious. Your overall oral health often depends on those first few critical moments. How you take action can determine the result of the situation.
Captivate Dental has a same-day emergency appointment available for your dental emergency. We value time and efficiency as we effectively address your situation.
For patients with busy schedules, we offer Saturday hours as well as late visits on Wednesday (by appointment only).
Same Day Dental Emergency Appointment Available in Moorabbin
We are located at 46 Station Street in Moorabbin.
Book a Complimentary Consultation
- Same day emergency appointments are available upon request
- We offer FREE Orthodontic and Implant Consultations
- We're a preferred provider for Bupa and Medibank Private
- If you are looking for an affordable dentist Moorabbin, Captivate Dental is your first choice!
Tuesdays & Thursdays 9am-5pm (if required out of hours available; all by appointment; for emergency’s & urgent dental work only e.g. pain, infections, broken fillings etc.. )
Other days - OPEN on demand for urgent treatment