Soft tissues injuries in the Mouth
The soft tissues in the mouth, such as the tongue, gums, cheeks, and lips, are fragile, and when they are injured, it can be very painful.
These soft tissues can be injured when you accidentally bite down on them, if you are bumped, fall, are in an accident, or if you put hot food in your mouth.
Chewing on hard objects also can damage the soft tissues in the mouth.
Symptoms of Injury
The main symptom of injury is persistent, pulsating pain in the affected area. At first, the tissue will be very sensitive to extreme heat and bite pressure.
Eventually, you may experience a fever. Lymph nodes beneath the jaw or in the neck can be very tender, and there may be pain in the sinus area.
If an abscess erupts, a sudden rush of foul-smelling and foul-tasting fluid will spread into the mouth.
Types of Soft Tissue Injuries
Soft tissues injuries could be:
Causes of Soft Tissue Injuries
These injuries can be caused by:
- Sports accidents
- Work-related accidents
- Vehicular accidents
- Biting down too hard
- Sharp and/or hard food
First Aid: What to do during an injury?
In case of soft tissue injury, follow these tips:
- Remove all debris by rinsing your mouth thoroughly. Use a lukewarm saltwater solution or an antibacterial mouthwash. For the saltwater solution, dissolve 1/2 teaspoon of salt to eight ounces of lukewarm water. Use this to rinse your mouth several times.
- Apply pressure to the injured area by pressing a clean, absorbent material on it, for 10-15 minutes to control bleeding.
- To prevent/reduce swelling, apply a cold compress on the cheek against the affected area.
- Call and visit your Moorabbin dentist immediately.
The soft tissues may bleed copiously a few minutes after an injury. This eventually decreases and stops after administering proper first aid steps.
However, if the bleeding does not stop, this could mean a more serious injury to your soft tissues.
Treatment at Captivate Dental
Upon visiting your Moorabbin dentist, an examination of the damage will be performed. Sometimes, your dentist needs to stitch the wound to close it.
But most of the time, your dentist will only have to sanitise the affected area, making sure there is no foreign debris left, to avoid infection.
Soft Tissue Injury Treatment in Moorabbin
Soft tissue injuries, if not attended to early, can lead to a more serious condition.
Your oral health often depends on those first few critical moments of the injury. How you take action can determine the result of the situation.
Captivate Dental has a same-day emergency appointment available for your dental emergency. We value time and efficiency as we effectively address your situation.
For patients with busy schedules, we offer Saturday hours as well as late visits on Wednesday (by appointment only).
Same Day Dental Emergency Available
We are located at 46 Station Street in Moorabbin.
Book a Complimentary Consultation
- Same day emergency appointments are available upon request
- We offer FREE Orthodontic and Implant Consultations
- We're a preferred provider for Bupa and Medibank Private
(Appointment by prior booking on Wednesdays)