Captivate Dental Guide: What to Do if You Have Dental Emergency
Whether it’s a mysterious pain, bleeding gums, broken tooth, or some other problem, dental emergencies can interfere with speaking, eating, and other day-to-day activities.
Worse, they can sometimes leave you at a loss for what to do.
And while you can cut down on the risk of dental emergencies by avoiding the use of your teeth as tools, by giving up hard foods and candies, or by wearing a mouthpiece during athletics, unexpected dental problems can still occur.
When a dental emergency does arise, you should immediately contact Captivate Dental.
We try to schedule a same-day emergency appointment for you so you can receive the care you need.
At Captivate Dental, we can treat almost any type of dental emergency, and we will do all we can to make you pain-free again. But it is also essential that you know what you can do in case of a dental emergency.
Always have your Moorabbin dentist’s phone number handy!
In many dental emergencies, you will be expected to perform some first aid and then head to see a dentist.
To ensure that Captivate Dental is ready for you when you visit us for an emergency, have our phone number available and call us as soon as you can, so we can be prepared for your visit!
Here are some of the emergencies you might plan for, and what you can do if they occur:
- Don’t wait. See us right away as swelling can result from infections. Delay can lead to severe symptoms, even death.
- Stay upright and don’t lie flat, even while sleeping.
- Drink fluids. Dehydration can make complications more likely.
If a knocked-out tooth can be reimplanted within an hour, there’s a good chance that it will stay in place.
- Pick the tooth up by the crown, not the root. Touching the root damages tissue necessary for reimplantation.
- For an adult tooth only, try implanting the tooth back in the socket using opposing teeth as a model to ensure you are placing the tooth back in the correct orientation.
- Do not attempt to put back the tooth of a child!
- Call your dentist and tell them you are on the way to the clinic. If they can’t be reached, head to the emergency room.
Broken, Cracked, or Chipped Tooth
- Stay calm! If you’re not in pain, you probably have some time.
- Call Captivate Dental. The more info you give us, the better. You could explain the situation to us, or email or text us a photo!
This can be a number of things from gum disease to trauma. If you’ve had a tooth extracted and you’re bleeding, and it won’t stop, seek immediate care.
- If you see blood on your floss or brush, see us and get treated for gum disease.
- If you’re bleeding after a procedure or due to trauma, see your dentist immediately. Keep your head elevated, particularly while sleeping.
A gum abscess is a clear, yellow, red, or whitish pimple on the gum.
- Immediately schedule a dental appointment.
- Do not attempt to pop the gum abscess.
- Continue brushing and flossing as usual.
Pain When Biting
- Make an appointment to see your dentist as soon as is convenient.
- Don’t use that tooth while chewing as the next pressure could lead to loss of the tooth or a crack expanding through the tooth.
Accident, Injury, or Fall
- Get seen by a dentist immediately!
Your tongue is tough, but when traumatised, it can swell, hurt, and bleed dramatically. Be seen as soon as possible if you injure your tongue. Even minor wounds can become infected.
- Suck on an ice cube to slow bleeding and numb the area.
- To minimise bleeding, pack some gauze onto that area of the tongue and put pressure on it.
- A toothache is all about controlling pain and swelling before you see your dentist. Take painkillers as directed.
Objects Stuck Between Teeth
- Use knotted (two or three knots) dental floss to work the item loose. You may have to experiment with the size of the knots and how close together they should be.
- If you’re having a hard time with regular floss, use a flossing stick.
- If the item absolutely cannot be removed, make an appointment to see your Moorabbin dentist.
Complete Dental Care in Moorabbin!
Captivate Dental is conveniently located in Moorabbin near Brighton (near Kingston City Hall and Moorabbin Station).
We provide the highest quality care and enable patients to make informed choices. Our competent, caring staff provides value through excellent diagnostic skills and efficient use of the best quality materials.
Captivate Dental offers a wide variety of preventative and cosmetic dental treatment for kids, seniors, and everyone between!
We are located at 46 Station Street in Moorabbin.