Diseases of the Jaw
Jawbone infection is caused when a dental cavity remains untreated, and the tooth pulp becomes infected due to the build-up of bacteria.
If left ignored, the infection can occur and cause even more systemic health issues.
Symptoms of Diseases of the Jaw
Diseases of the jaw symptoms may include:
- Jaw and mouth pain
- Facial redness
- Swollen face
- Pus draining from the area
- Sensitivity to bite force
- Tender, swollen lymph nodes below your jaw
If any of the above mentioned symptoms occur, consult with your Moorabbin dentist immediately.
Immediate treatment includes removing the source of infection, usually by root canal treatment.
Antibiotics may be useful in severe cases but are rarely needed for infections.
In more severe cases, tooth/teeth may need to be extracted.
Osteonecrosis of the jaw is a rare but serious condition wherein the cells in the jawbone start to die. It happens when the jawbone is exposed to a lack of blood supply.
Most cases of osteonecrosis occur after a dental extraction.
The risk of osteonecrosis is greater when there is damage to the bone, during radiation therapy, or after osteoporosis treatment.
Symptoms of osteonecrosis:
- Pain, swelling, redness, or other signs of infection
- Gum or tooth sockets that don’t heal after dental treatment
- Loosened teeth
- Number or heavy feeling in the jaw
- Having bone become visible in your mouth
Consult your Moorabbin dentist who will be happy to discuss restoration with you.
Temporomandibular Joint Disorder
Temporomandibular joint disorder occurs when there are issues with the jaw and facial muscles. You may not be able to open your mouth very well without pain or clicking sounds.
This is usually the result of clenching your jaw or grinding your teeth over long periods, mostly at night.
Specific injuries or joint problems can also cause direct damage to the joint. TMJ disorders such as this can cause facial pain, headaches, dizziness, and neck and back pain.
There are many common symptoms of TMD, but it is often hard to know if you have this condition, since one or all of these signs and symptoms can also mean other problems.
Your Moorabbin dentist can help make a proper diagnosis.
Diseases of the Jaw in Moorabbin
At Captivate Dental, we deliver safe and effective teeth and jaw care. We provide custom-made treatments tailored just for you!
Visit your Moorabbin dentist today!
We are located at 46 Station Street in Moorabbin.
Book a Complimentary Consultation
- Same day emergency appointments are available upon request
- We offer FREE Orthodontic and Implant Consultations
- We're a preferred provider for Bupa and Medibank Private
- If you are looking for an affordable dentist Moorabbin, Captivate Dental is your first choice!