Dental Abscess Moorabbin
A dental abscess is a painful inflammation filled with a thick yellow-coloured fluid called pus. There are two types of dental abscesses, a gum abscess (also known as a periodontal abscess) and a tooth abscess (also known as a periapical abscess).
Causes of Dental Abscess
- Poor dental care
- Diabetes, gastric reflux, or medical conditions that weaken the immune system
- Procedures on the tooth or the gums
- Dry mouth or very little saliva production
- Smoking or drinking alcohol
- Radiation therapy to the head and neck
- Certain medicines, such as steroids, allergy, or blood pressure medicines
Signs and Symptoms of a Dental Abscess
- Toothache, a loosened tooth, or a tooth that is very sensitive to pressure or temperature
- Bad smell and taste in the mouth, and drooling
- Pain, redness, and swelling of the gums, or swelling on the face and neck
- Pain when opening or closing the mouth
- Trouble opening the mouth
Treatment for Dental Abscess
Your dentist Moorabbin may decide to cut open the abscess and allow pus drainage. It can also be drained through the affected tooth, at the start of a root canal treatment.
Unless the abscess bursts on its own, these are usually the only ways that the infection can be treated.
People with dental abscesses usually take prescribed pain relievers and, at the discretion of the dentist, antibiotics to fight the infection.
An abscess that has reached to the floor of the mouth or the neck may need to be drained under anaesthesia.
Dental Abscess in Moorabbin
Dental infection should be attended to right away. Knowing what to do as soon as you spot early signs of infections can help you save your tooth and gum tissues.
Captivate Dental has a same-day emergency appointment available for your dental emergency Moorabbin. We value time and efficiency as we effectively address your situation.
For patients with busy schedules, we offer Saturday hours as well as late visits on Wednesday (by appointment only).
Same Day Dental Emergency Appointment Available in Moorabbin
We are located at 46 Station Street in Moorabbin.
Book a Complimentary Consultation
- Same day emergency appointments are available upon request
- We offer FREE Orthodontic and Implant Consultations
- We're a preferred provider for Bupa and Medibank Private
- If you are looking for an affordable dentist Moorabbin, Captivate Dental is your first choice!
Tuesdays & Thursdays 9am-5pm (if required out of hours available; all by appointment; for emergency’s & urgent dental work only e.g. pain, infections, broken fillings etc.. )
Other days - OPEN on demand for urgent treatment