If there is pain and discomfort while chewing, or if the teeth suddenly become sensitive to extreme temperatures, a tooth may be broken.
A broken tooth is one of the most common dental emergencies that can occur; should be handled with urgency to save the tooth.
Captivate Dental offers a same-day dental emergency appointment to attend to your needs as soon as possible.
Our dental team of quick and responsive staff is experienced in dealing with almost all kinds of dental emergencies.
Symptoms of Broken Tooth
If you have these symptoms, there may be more complicated damage that needs immediate dental treatment:
- pain when chewing or biting
- swelling on gums around the affected area
- sensitivity to extreme temperatures
- recurring pain around the teeth and gums
Causes of Broken Tooth
Here are some of the most common causes of a tooth breakage:
- Biting down too hard
- Excessive teeth grinding (bruxism)
- Dental trauma
- Injury to the face
- Existing filling that weakens the tooth structure
- Sudden temperature change
When to See a Dentist
If you have or if you think you might have a broken tooth, schedule an appointment with their Moorabbin dentist immediately, especially when there are pain and discomfort.
While waiting for your Moorabbin dentist, the following measures can help relieve discomfort:
- Rinse your mouth with lukewarm saltwater to keep it clean
- Take over-the-counter pain medications
- To reduce swelling, apply a cold compress against the cheek, outside the affected area
The longer a broken tooth goes untreated, the more difficult it may be for your Moorabbin dentist to save is healthy parts. Complications may also occur, such as infection.
Unlike a fractured bone, a broken tooth will not heal on its own.
Despite receiving dental treatments, some cracks may continue to spread, resulting in tooth loss.
Placing a dental crown on a broken tooth provides maximum protection.
Broken Tooth Management in Moorabbin
If you’re worried about a broken tooth, call us at our Moorabbin dental clinic immediately.
Same-Day Dental Emergency Appointment Available in Moorabbin
For more information on dental emergencies and how to deal with them in Moorabbin, call us on (03) 9553 1249.
We are located at 46 Station Street in Moorabbin.
Book a Complimentary Consultation
- Same day emergency appointments are available upon request
- We offer FREE Orthodontic and Implant Consultations
- We're a preferred provider for Bupa and Medibank Private
- If you are looking for an affordable dentist Moorabbin, Captivate Dental is your first choice!
Monday - Friday
8:30AM - 5:30PM
Saturday - Sunday