Bad Breath Treatment
Bad breath is the result of poor oral hygiene habits and can be a sign of an overall health threat.
At Captivate Dental, we can help diagnose your bad breath and provide fast and practical treatment solutions.
Causes of Bad Breath
One of the main causes of bad breath is garlic and/or onion. What you eat can affect the smell it releases.
Fasting also causes bad breath since the body breaks down fat and releases ketones, which can be foul-smelling.
Poor Oral Hygiene
If you do not brush and floss your teeth well, food particles will be stuck in your mouth, developing harmful bacteria that can cause plaque build-up. The tongue can also be home to odour-causing bacteria.
Poorly-fitted and dirty dentures can also trap odour-causing bacteria and food debris.
Dry mouth occurs when saliva production slows down. This can occur if you haven’t been drinking enough water or if you have been sleeping for longer than usual.
Strenuous workouts, breathing through the mouth, and certain diseases and medications can also help develop dry mouth.
Smoking or using tobacco products can also cause bad breath. It causes harm to your teeth and mouth, causing various problems like tooth decay, bad breath, gum diseases, and worse, oral cancer.
A person who suffers from bad breath may not be suffering from bad breath alone. Bad breath may be a sign of other more serious health issues.
Bad Breath Treatment at Captivate Dental
Avoid tooth decay and lower your risk of gum diseases, have a regular oral hygiene routine. Bad breath treatment depends on its cause and severity.
For causes linked to oral health, your Moorabbin dentist will work with you to help you better control your bad breath.
Dental solutions may include:
Mouthwash and toothpaste. If your bad breath is caused by a bacteria build-up, your Moorabbin dentist may recommend you use an antibacterial mouthwash and toothpaste.
Treatment of dental disease. If you have a gum disease, see your Moorabbin dentist right away. Gum diseases can cause gums to recede, leaving deep pockets that fill with odour-causing bacteria.
Your Moorabbin dentist might also recommend replacing old restorations since they become breeding grounds for bacteria.
Bad Breath Prevention
Below are a few steps to help prevent bad breath:
- Always keep your mouth clean. Brush your teeth and gums (at least 2 minutes each time) before bed and at least one other time during the day. Do not forget to brush your tongue. Bacteria also grow on the tongue if it is not cleaned properly.
- Floss your teeth once a day to remove the food debris stuck between your teeth and underneath the gums.
- Chew sugar-free gum. It helps your mouth in producing saliva and stops you from developing dry mouth that can lead to bad breath.
Bad Breath Treatments in Moorabbin
If there are dental problems that causing your bad breath, your Moorabbin dentist can start to treat the causes with cleaning or scraping.
Visit your Moorabbin dentist today!
We are located at 46 Station Street in Moorabbin.
Book a Complimentary Consultation
- Same day emergency appointments are available upon request
- We offer FREE Orthodontic and Implant Consultations
- We're a preferred provider for Bupa and Medibank Private
- If you are looking for an affordable dentist Moorabbin, Captivate Dental is your first choice!
Monday - Friday
8:30AM - 5:30PM
Saturday - Sunday